Global Cannabis Partnership Seeks An Executive Director
Revolution Strategy is a boutique, full-service communications agency located in the heart of Saint John, New Brunswick’s creative and historic Uptown. Our agency also incubates startups like Talons of Venice, makers of the TV show Real Houses Of..., and Civilized, a premium media and lifestyle brand that embraces and highlights modern cannabis culture.
In January 2018, Revolution founded the Global Cannabis Partnership (GCP), an international initiative that will create a worldwide social responsibility standard for the safe and responsible production, distribution and consumption of legal, adult-use recreational cannabis. The GCP is the first of its kind in the growing global recreational cannabis industry and mirrors successful initiatives in other sectors including alcohol, gaming, forestry and textiles. The standard will reflect areas including responsible use and informed choice, restrictions to youth, safety, advertising, the environment and ethics.
Revolution Strategy is Managing Partner of the GCP. To date, 15 well-respected organizations have joined the Partnership, representing a cross-section of organizations that play – or will play – a role in the legal, adult-use recreational cannabis supply chain. Founding Members currently include: Cannabis NB, Canopy Growth, Aphria, The Green Organic Dutchman, GreenStar Brands, High Park Company, Up Cannabis, MedReleaf, Cansortium Holdings, T4G Limited, McCarthy Tetrault, EY, PwC Canada, Civilized and Business of Cannabis. Not an advocacy or lobby group, the GCP is truly a partnership of like-minded organizations who want to raise the bar with respect to social responsibility for the industry.
Reporting to Revolution’s President & CSR Practice Lead and the GCP Advisory Board, we are seeking an Executive Director to expand and implement plans to grow the Partnership and ensure its sustainability, and to oversee the development and implementation of the Responsible Cannabis Framework.
This will be a career-defining role.
This role requires a confident leader who is adept at building new initiatives, recognizing when and how to consult and collaborate, and when to be decisive. Working with our advisory, legal and CSR partners and Advisory Board, you will oversee deliverables in our first year of operations that include: the development and application of a governance model; the development and implementation of a Responsible Cannabis Framework, including the development of an accreditation process; the development and implementation of marketing communications and recruitment strategies; and oversight over strategic and business plans, budgets and reporting.
This role is ideally based out of our head office in Saint John, New Brunswick. Given this is a global initiative, for the right candidate we are flexible with respect to location.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading the Global Cannabis Partnership in a manner that guides and supports the organization’s mission of developing a credible social responsibility standard for the nascent legal, adult-use recreational cannabis industry
- Overseeing key deliverables including the development and implementation of the Responsible Cannabis Framework
- Validating and expanding upon strategic and annual operating plans, including measures and targets, and budgets
- Working with our advisors, overseeing the establishment of key infrastructure for the GCP, including governance, bylaws, policies and procedures, contract and knowledge management, databases, etc.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of programs to grow the Partnership and its membership base, including marketing communications and recruitment plans
- Leading communications and engagement with the Advisory Board and all Founding Members, including the management of all calls and meetings
- Serving as a spokesperson with media and stakeholders, and at conferences
- Managing budgets and resources in a fiscally responsible, transparent manner
- Reporting on results
- Managing relationships with staff, partners and vendors in the provision of key deliverables and services
- Other duties as assigned
What you bring to the table:
- A post-secondary degree in communications, public affairs, business, social science, social policy or equivalent
- A minimum of five (5) years working in a senior leadership role in corporate social responsibility, public affairs, public policy, communications or equivalent
- Track record as a leader who can advance new ideas through a combination of collaboration, consensus-building and action
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and excellent facilitation skills
- Solid organizational skills for planning, delegation and task facilitation, with a track record of getting things done
- Experience managing an organizational, divisional or departmental P&L
- Ability to establish consultative relationships with a range of stakeholders, including partners, NGOs, researchers and media
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinker
- Transparency and tact
- Unwavering belief in the benefits of a legal, regulated, adult-use recreational cannabis industry
- Experience in cannabis and/or other regulated industries an asset
- Experience working with a Board, and familiarity with principles of good governance, an asset
- Bilingualism an asset
In addition to a terrific team of people and supportive structure, Revolution offers a great compensation package.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Friday, July 6, 2018.